The Green Scapular, called by Our Lady, “The Badge of the Immaculate Heart of Mary,” was given to the world by the Blessed Virgin Mary through a series of apparitions to Sister Justine Bisqueyburo, a Daughter of Charity, in the early 1840’s in Paris, France.
Our Lady would obtain great favors from her Divine Son through this scapular, especially in the areas of physical health, peace of mind and spiritual conversion.
This scapular is not like others (it is not the clothing-habit of a confraternity) but merely two holy pictures on a single piece of material. Therefore no special formula is required to bless it or enroll someone in its use. It suffices that it be blessed by a priest and worn by the one whom we desire to benefit by Our Lady’s intercession. If, on the other hand, the person is unable or even unwilling to wear it or carry it, it may even be slipped, unknown to him, into his clothes, bed, room, or possessions etc.
There is only one prayer that needs to be said, at least once a day: “Immaculate heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death.” If the person who is the intended beneficiary of the scapular’s use does not say it, then someone else can say it in his place.
Favors obtained by invoking Our Lady under this title have been truly remarkable.
One mother was fearing for her son's soul who had left the faith mostly because she did not raise him properly in it. As she came back to her faith she worried for her son more and more as it was mostly due to his upbringing. The son ignored all her efforts to come back to the faith. A neighbor gave her two Green Scapulars and told her to give it to him. He refused so she placed one in his bed and one in his suit. A few weeks later he happily told her that he had returned to the Catholic Church and was preparing for First Confession and First Holy Communion which he received shortly after. The mother was extremely thankful to Our Lady of the Green Scapular!
1. Conversion of those who do not have the faith
2. Reconciliation to the Church for those who have lost/strayed from the faith
3. Assurance of a happy death
4. Strengthening of the faith for those already in the Church
5. Protection from Satan for those who wear or promote the scapular
1. Wear or carry the scapular
2. To help another, place it in their vicinity (i.e. their room)
3. Pray, at least daily: "Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death."
4. The prayer should be said for oneself and separately for each person to whom it has been given (unless they pray themselves)
5. No enrollment of any kind is necessary, but each scapular should be blessed by a priest (general blessing of sacramentals)
The Green Scapular is one of the most helpful religious gifts you can give those who have lost their faith in the Lord.
The Church and the world are in desperate need of real Saints - and God wants to help you to be one!